Hello, it’s Elaina once again, your culinary guide from the heart of the Canadian prairies. Today, I’m thrilled to share a dish that is not just a favourite in my Winnipeg home, but also a true representation of our local barbecue culture – my Cajun Steak Barbecue. This dish, with its bold flavours and smoky goodness, is a testament to the vibrant culinary scene of our sweet little city.
Cajun Steak Barbecue Recipe
Cajun Steak Barbecue
- 1 glass baking dish
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 2 16-ounce rib-eye steaks
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a glass baking dish, whisk the minced garlic, garlic powder, oil, and onion. Add your steaks to the dish, turning to coat on all sides. Cover the baking dish, then leave to sit for at least 1-hour.
- Preheat your grill, then remove steaks from marinade.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine paprika, 2 tablespoons oil, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Rub each of your steaks with this spice mixture.
- Grill your steaks for about 7-10 minutes per side or until done to your personal preferred doneness.
- Cut the steak and divide it up among serving dishes.
- Serve and Enjoy!
About Cajun Steak Barbecue
This Cajun Steak Barbecue holds a special place in my heart. It’s the kind of meal that brings people together, whether it’s a family gathering, a backyard party, or a casual weekend dinner. It’s a celebration of our local beef, seasoned with a blend of spices that add a kick of Cajun flair, making it a unique fusion of Canadian and Southern U.S. cuisines.
So, what’s the secret behind my Cajun Steak Barbecue? First and foremost, it’s all about the steak. I recommend sourcing your steak from a local farm or butcher, where you can find the freshest cuts.
Next, let’s talk seasoning. The Cajun spice mix is what gives this dish its distinctive flavour. Don’t be afraid to adjust the heat level to your liking.
Lastly, the grilling process. Remember to preheat your grill and avoid flipping the steak too often. This will give your steak those beautiful grill marks and a deliciously smoky flavour.
Now, how should you serve this mouthwatering Cajun Steak Barbecue? Here are five ideas:
- Serve it with a side of coleslaw for a classic barbecue pairing.
- Pair it with grilled corn on the cob for a touch of sweetness.
- For a healthier option, serve it with a fresh garden salad.
- Add a dollop of garlic butter on top for an extra burst of flavour.
- Or simply enjoy it as is, letting the bold Cajun flavours shine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions I often get about my Cajun Steak Barbecue:
- ‘Can I use other cuts of beef?’ Absolutely! This recipe works well with any cut of beef.
- ‘Can I adjust the spice level?’ Of course! Feel free to modify the Cajun seasoning to your taste.
- ‘What if I don’t have a grill?’ A cast-iron skillet will do just fine.
- ‘How long can I marinate the steak?’ Ideally, marinate the steak overnight for maximum flavour.
- ‘Can this be made gluten-free?’ Yes, just ensure your Cajun seasoning is gluten-free.
And there you have it – a peek into my kitchen with my flavourful Cajun Steak Barbecue. It’s not just a meal; it’s a celebration of our local beef and a nod to the vibrant barbecue culture of the Canadian prairies. I hope this dish brings a touch of Winnipeg warmth to your table, one smoky, delicious bite at a time. Happy grilling!