Hello, I’m Elaina, the culinary enthusiast behind Flavour Food and Wine. Today, I’m thrilled to share with you a recipe that’s a delightful blend of elegance and comfort – Poached Pears with Spiced Red Wine. This dish combines the sweet, juicy pears poached in a richly spiced red wine syrup, creating a dessert that’s both sophisticated and warming. It’s a perfect way to end a meal or to enjoy as a special treat. So, let’s embark on this culinary journey and explore the wonderful world of Poached Pears with Spiced Red Wine together.
Poached Pears with Spiced Red Wine Recipe
Poached Pears with Spiced Red Wine
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 bottle red wine
- 225 g caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick halved
- fresh thyme sprig plus sprigs to serve
- 6 pears peeled, but kept whole with stalk intact
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the black seeds and put in a large saucepan with the wine, sugar, cinnamon and thyme.
- Cut each piece of pod into three long thin strips, add to pan, then lower in the pears.
- Poach the pears, covered, for 20-30 mins, making sure they are covered in the wine.
- The cooking time will very much depend on the ripeness of your pears – they should be tender all the way through when pierced with a cocktail stick.
- You can make these up to 2 days ahead and chill.
- Take the pears from the pan, then boil the liquid to reduce it by half so that it’s syrupy.
- Serve each pear with the cooled syrup, a strip of vanilla, a piece of cinnamon and a small thyme sprig.
About Poached Pears with Spiced Red Wine
Poached Pears with Spiced Red Wine is a dessert that’s a delightful blend of elegance and comfort. This recipe combines the sweet, juicy pears poached in a richly spiced red wine syrup, creating a dessert that’s both sophisticated and warming. Originating from France where wine and pears are abundant, this dish offers a unique gastronomic experience that’s both satisfying and flavorful.
- Choose ripe but firm pears for the best texture and flavor.
- Use a good quality red wine that you would enjoy drinking. The flavor of the wine will concentrate as it reduces, so it’s important to start with a wine you like.
- Add the spices to the wine at the beginning of the cooking process to allow the flavors to infuse the syrup.
- Poach the pears gently to ensure they become tender but do not fall apart.
- Allow the pears to cool in the syrup to absorb more flavor.
- Poached Pears with Spiced Red Wine can be served as a dessert after a meal or as a special treat.
- Pair it with a glass of the same red wine used for poaching for a harmonious flavor pairing.
- For a more substantial dessert, serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
- Sprinkle the pears with toasted almond slices for an extra crunch.
- For a vegan option, replace the honey in the syrup with a plant-based sweetener like maple syrup or agave nectar.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I use other types of fruit instead of pears? Yes, you can substitute pears with other types of fruit like apples or peaches.
- Can I make the spiced red wine syrup in advance? Yes, the spiced red wine syrup can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- What can I use if I don’t have red wine? If you don’t have red wine, you can substitute it with other types of wine like white wine or rosé. You can also use a non-alcoholic substitute like grape juice or cranberry juice.
- Can I make this dessert in advance? Yes, you can poach the pears in advance and store them in the syrup in the refrigerator. Just reheat them gently before serving.
- Can I add other spices to the syrup? Absolutely! Feel free to add other spices like star anise, cloves, or even a slice of fresh ginger.
Poached Pears with Spiced Red Wine is a dessert that truly celebrates the flavors of France. Its combination of sweet pears and spiced wine creates a satisfying and flavorful treat. By following the provided cooking tips and serving suggestions, you can create a restaurant-quality dessert right in your own kitchen. Remember, cooking is about creativity and personalization, so feel free to experiment with different fruits, wines, and spices. Enjoy the process and the delicious result!