Hello, I’m Elaina, the culinary enthusiast behind Flavour Food and Wine. Today, I’m thrilled to share with you a recipe that’s a delightful fusion of autumn flavors – Cranberry Pumpkin Drop Cookies. These cookies bring together the tartness of cranberries and the sweet, earthy flavor of pumpkin, creating a treat that’s both delicious and festive. It’s a perfect recipe for the holiday season or whenever you’re in the mood for a taste of fall. So, let’s embark on this culinary journey and explore the wonderful world of Cranberry Pumpkin Drop Cookies together.
Cranberry Pumpkin Drop Cookies Recipe
Cranberry Pumpkin Drop Cookies
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 oven
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 butter softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup freshly cooked pumpkin pureed
- 1 vanilla pod seeded
- 1 cup cranberries
- Start by soaking the cranberries in very very hot water to plump them up [and so they won't sink to the bottom of the dough mixture].
- Drain and set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and nutmeg.
- In mixer bowl, beat butter on medium for 30 seconds, then add brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg, pumpkin and vanilla seeds and beat well again.
- Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture and beat until well blended, then stir in cranberries. Dough will be soft, unlike other cookie doughs.
- Drop heaping teaspoons-full onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until done.
About cranberry pumpkin drop cookies
Cranberry Pumpkin Drop Cookies are a delightful fusion of autumn flavors. This recipe brings together the tartness of cranberries and the sweet, earthy flavor of pumpkin, creating a treat that’s both delicious and festive. Originating from North America where both cranberries and pumpkins are fall staples, these cookies offer a unique gastronomic experience that’s both satisfying and flavorful.
- Use fresh or frozen cranberries for the best flavor. If using dried cranberries, consider soaking them in orange juice or rum for an extra flavor boost.
- Make sure your pumpkin puree is not too watery to prevent the cookies from spreading too much during baking.
- Use a cookie scoop or a tablespoon to drop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet to ensure uniform size.
- Don’t overbake the cookies. They should be slightly underdone when you take them out of the oven, as they will continue to cook on the hot baking sheet.
- Adjust the amount of spices according to your preference. If you prefer a spicier cookie, add a bit more cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Cranberry Pumpkin Drop Cookies can be served as a dessert, a snack, or even a breakfast treat.
- Pair them with a glass of milk or a cup of hot tea or coffee.
- For a festive holiday platter, serve these cookies with other fall-themed treats like apple pie or pecan tarts.
- Top the cookies with a simple glaze or dust them with powdered sugar for an extra touch of sweetness.
- For a vegan option, replace the egg in the recipe with a flax egg or applesauce.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I use canned cranberry sauce instead of fresh cranberries? It’s best to use fresh or frozen cranberries for this recipe. Canned cranberry sauce may make the cookies too sweet and wet.
- Can I use pumpkin pie filling instead of pumpkin puree? Pumpkin pie filling is usually sweetened and spiced, so it may alter the flavor of the cookies. It’s best to use plain pumpkin puree.
- Can I make these cookies gluten-free? Yes, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Just be sure to check the labels of your other ingredients to ensure they are also gluten-free.
- Can I freeze these cookies? Yes, these cookies freeze well. Just let them cool completely before freezing.
- Can I add other ingredients to these cookies? Absolutely! Feel free to add ingredients like white chocolate chips, pecans, or even a sprinkle of sea salt on top.
Cranberry Pumpkin Drop Cookies are a treat that truly celebrates the flavors of fall. Their combination of tart cranberries and sweet pumpkin creates a satisfying and flavorful cookie. By following the provided cooking tips and serving suggestions, you can create a batch of these festive cookies right in your own kitchen. Remember, baking is about creativity and personalization, so feel free to experiment with different ingredients and spices. Enjoy the process and the delicious result!