Hello, everyone! It’s Elaina here, your culinary guide at Flavour Food and Wine, nestled in the heart of the Canadian prairies in our lovely city, Winnipeg. Today, I’m thrilled to introduce you to a dish that has become a festive favourite in our household – the tantalizing Spicy Roast Beef and Cranberry Sauce.
Spicy Roast Beef and Cranberry Sauce Recipe
Spicy Roast Beef & Cranberry Sauce
- 1 oven
- 1 skillet
- 1 baking dish
- 2 lbs. Beef tenderloin
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh, chopped
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- cooking oil spray as needed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Using cooking spray, grease a baking dish.
- Add your oil into a skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Add your beef tenderloin and cook for about 7-minutes per side or until browned on all sides. Reserve the pan.
- Add the beef to the greased baking dish, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bake for 32-minutes, then allow cooling for about 10-minutes before slicing.
- Now, melt the butter in the reserved pan over medium-high heat. Stir-fry your shallots and garlic for about 1-minute.
- Add the wine to pan, then add in the cranberries, thyme, beef stock, and chili flakes. Cook for approximately15 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken. Season sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve your roast beef topped with spicy cranberry sauce.
- Serve and Enjoy!
The Story Behind Spicy Roast Beef and Cranberry Sauce
The inspiration for this Spicy Roast Beef & Cranberry Sauce came from a desire to create a dish that encapsulates the spirit of Canadian winters. The warmth of the spicy roast beef paired with the tangy sweetness of cranberry sauce is reminiscent of cozy evenings spent by the fireplace, watching the snowfall outside.
Cooking Tips for Perfect Spicy Roast Beef and Cranberry Sauce
Creating the perfect Spicy Roast Beef & Cranberry Sauce is all about balance. You want to ensure that your beef is cooked to perfection – tender and juicy, with a beautiful crust. As for the spice mix, feel free to adjust the heat level to your liking.
When it comes to the cranberry sauce, go for fresh cranberries if possible. They lend a tartness that beautifully balances the sweetness of the sauce. And remember, patience is key when making cranberry sauce. Let it simmer slowly until it reaches the desired consistency.
Serving Suggestions for Spicy Roast Beef and Cranberry Sauce
- Holiday Dinner: This dish is a showstopper for any holiday dinner. Serve it with roasted vegetables and a glass of full-bodied red wine.
- Weekend Lunch: Make your weekend lunch special with this Spicy Roast Beef and Cranberry Sauce. Pair it with a fresh salad for a complete meal.
- Potluck Party: Impress your friends at the next potluck with this dish. It’s easy to transport and reheats well.
- Comfort Food Night: Having a comfort food night at home? This dish fits the bill perfectly. Serve it with mashed potatoes for a comforting meal.
- Date Night: Planning a date night at home? This dish is sure to impress. Pair it with a bottle of your favourite wine and some candlelight for a romantic dinner.
Your FAQs Answered
- Can I use a different cut of beef? Absolutely! While I prefer roast beef, you can use any cut of beef you like. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Can I use store-bought cranberry sauce? Yes, you can. But I promise you, homemade is always better!
- Can I make this dish ahead of time? Yes, both the roast beef and the cranberry sauce can be made a day in advance. Just reheat before serving.
- How long does this dish keep? The roast beef will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, while the cranberry sauce will keep for up to a week.
- Can I freeze this dish? Yes, both the roast beef and the cranberry sauce freeze well. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
There you have it, folks – a taste of the Canadian prairies in one delicious dish. This Spicy Roast Beef and Cranberry Sauce is a testament to the hearty and comforting cuisine we love here in Winnipeg. As we say here, “Bon appétit, eh?”
Until our next culinary adventure, happy cooking!